Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Movie Review ---- Shutter Island

Over this past weekend I had the opportunity to view the film "Shutter Island".  Based upon the poster and description from the back it appeared to promise a thrilling psychological two hours.  Typically, I am not a fan of jump out of your seat scary movie and I was hoping this would not be the case.  The film centers are around the search for a missing mentally ill patient at a state prison on Shutter Island.  Though there were many psychological scares to be found throughout the film, the movie itself was very predicitable and did not lend itself well to the secrets the island was keeping from its main character and the me the viewer.  The cast centered around Leonardo Dicaprio and Mark Ruffalo as two Maine state investigators.  The setting for the film was very ominous and forbrooding.  I did enjoy the conversation at the end of the film though between Dicaprio and Ruffalo as it asked a very extensional question as to how we should live our life --- As a bad person or die a good man.  Overall I would give the film 3 stars out of 5.  If you are into films like "The Sixth Sense" and "1408" then this would be something you might enjoy.

9 comments:

  1. you finally just saw it? wow!
    I don't like movies like that, it really gets to make and get me thinking and then i start to lose my mind too. Oh and the movie is "1408" not 1406 :D, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personnaly did not like this movie. We had to stop and think to ourselves what the heck is going on a lot of times. It makes you feel like you are the one that is going crazy haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cat, I have corrected the mistake. Does anyone have any other movie suggestions with a psychological thriller plot/theme?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~MOVIE SPOILER~

    That movie was so crazy, I actually thought the events in the movie were real, but he ended up just being a patient at the end. Really made me mad at the end, but I still thought it was cool hahaha.


    I like the movie "Session 9" it was made in 2001? I beleive. You should check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome Metcalf! but another good weird movie is Black Swan. It sounds like a chick flick and might sound boring but it was pretty interesting. But while you watching it you start to feel and understand why she (Natalie Portman) feels the way she feels. I don't know its hard to explain, you hust have to watch it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is actually one of my favorite movies, i love when movies have differant possible endings and makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. topic go for gold blog movies with sara -step up to review.also motocross new vs old school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a great movie one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete